Oregon State's defining moments

No. 1: The Presidency of William Jasper Kerr
No. 2: The Great Depression
No. 3: The Presidency of Benjamin Lee Arnold
No. 4: John M. Bloss
No. 5: Cauthorn's politics
No. 6: Miller and Gatch
No. 7: The Morrill Act of 1862
No. 8: The Olmsted Campus Plan
No. 9: The OSU Foundation
No. 10: The contributions of James H. Jensen
No. 11: Helen Gilkey's legacy
No. 12: 2001 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
No. 13: "West Point of the West"
No. 14: OSU's first president: William A. Finley (1865-1872)
No. 15: The legacy of Margaret Comstock Snell
No. 16: The 1933 Ironmen
No. 17: The OSU Alumni Association
No. 18: The contributions of Ida Kidder
No. 19: The arrival of Wallace and Louisa Nash
No. 20: Terry Baker's Heisman


No. 1: The Presidency of William Jasper Kerr

The event that would do more to shape the future of Oregon State than any other happened in the spring of 1907 with the arrival of William Jasper Kerr to succeed Thomas Gatch as president of Oregon Agricultural College.
 
Having already held the same position at two colleges in his home state of Utah (BYU and Utah State), the 43-year old college administrator would go on to serve OSU in the top job longer than any other president in school history. When he retired in 1932, he was hired as Oregon’s first chancellor of higher education. Nationally, Kerr's leadership led the way in changing the role of land-grant colleges from a secondary "vocational" status to one of "service" to business, industry and agriculture.
 
Kerr's vision for OAC was different from any of his predecessors and he acted on it quickly. He raised entrance requirements and labored to get the college accredited by the nation's professional organizations. For the first time in its history, Oregon State's perception of itself as a "farmer's school" began to change, as the emphasis shifted from "farming education" to "professional education." Indeed, during Kerr's 25-year tenure, he laid the foundation for OSU to become the great land-grant university it is today.
 
A strong competitor for state funding, Kerr doubled the size of the campus by adding over 25 buildings during his term. These include the Memorial Union, Weatherford Hall, Strand Ag Hall, Milam Hall, Moreland Hall and the Women's Building. The value of the physical plant soared from $229,000 to over $7.5 million. He also established the colleges (or schools) of Agriculture, Engineering, Home Economics, Commerce, Mines, Forestry, Pharmacy, Education, and Health and Physical Education.
Kerr had an amazing gift for identifying academic talent and used it to bring to OSU many who are now considered to be among the university's legendary faculty, including: Ava Milam, E. B. Lemon, Edwin T. Reed, U. G. McAlexander, "Mother" Ida Kidder, C. B. McCullough, Helen Gilkey, "Dean" Dan W. Poling, George Peavy, Grant Covell, John Bexell, Willibald Weniger, and Ernest Wiegand.

He also established the "look" of OSU, which is sometimes described as "Prairie School." Two campus plans, one by the Olmsted firm in 1909, the other in the 1920s by A. D. Taylor, established architectural and landscaping benchmarks still in use...red brick buildings with white trim built along tree-lined pathways, quads, the park-like setting of the lower campus, and a heavy emphasis given to pedestrian traffic. 

His position as Oregon's first chancellor of the state system of higher education would prove to be the toughest assignment of his long and distinguished career. Guiding the six schools that made up the system through the worst years of the Great Depression, he stayed on until the summer of 1935, when he resigned at age 72 after 49 years as an educator... 40 of them as a college president.

Kerr moved to Portland after his retirement and spent the rest of his days presiding over his family and scrupulously avoiding any further involvement in the affairs of higher education. He died in Portland in 1947 at the age of 83. He would have been proud to see his name placed on Oregon State's library building in 1962 (now The Valley Library). That same year, Kerr's son, Robert M. Kerr, became one of three founders of the OSU Foundation.

No. 2: The Great Depression
On March 1, 1929, seven months before the start of what we know as the Great Depression, Oregon created the Oregon State Board of Higher Education. 

The new board was charged with numerous oversight responsibilities. Two of the most important were to study curricula to eliminate duplication and to reorganize the state’s six publicly-sanctioned schools into a unified system.

Even without the stock market crash in October of that year, it would have been a painful process for everyone. The Depression, and the money crunch that followed, made it that much worse. There were simply not enough resources to go around to keep everyone happy and operating at full academic tilt.

By March 1932, after a two-year study, the board delivered its bombshell.

Degree programs were to be dropped at both the UO and OSU (known at the time as Oregon State Agricultural College or OSAC), and colleges and departments would be transferred from one institution to the other. Tension grew between the two schools.

Law, social sciences, fine arts, physical education, literature and languages, and commerce would be based in Eugene.

Corvallis would have the sciences, home economics, agriculture, engineering, forestry and pharmacy.

Lower divisions were established at both schools for the purpose of providing the rudimentary training necessary to give degree programs enough academic credibility to pass muster with accrediting agencies.

Cursed at the time, these "junior" divisions did bring with them a blessing in disguise: no longer would freshmen be required to declare a major the first year. Students could now attend a full two years before making a commitment, and subjects taken at either school automatically transferred to any school within the system at full credit.

Several colleges and degree programs ...among them commerce, science, and physical education ...shared administrators, as UO and Oregon State began in many ways to operate as one giant university.

At OSU, the College of Mines ceased to exist. Ditto industrial journalism. Surviving academic units had to take drastic budget cuts and completely retrench.

In essence, the actions of the board served to tear apart the college OSAC President William Jasper Kerr had spent the best years of his career building to national prominence. Taking commerce away from OSAC had the effect of cutting off one of his arms. Coursework in business and commerce floated across virtually every degree program, serving as the bedrock of Kerr’s belief that a land-grant institution should, above all else, provide business, industry and agriculture with college-educated men and women well-versed in the free enterprise system and capable of making significant contributions to the economic well-being of the country.

His response to board's action was to retire. He was quickly hired to serve as the state of Oregon's first chancellor of higher education.

In a very real sense, the academic and research specialties enjoyed by both the UO and OSU today can be traced to the Great Depression and the changes in higher education the State Board of Higher Education mandated at that time.

No. 3: The Presidency of Benjamin Lee Arnold
The little plaque is hardly noticed anymore, even by students and faculty who have logged many steps in OSU’s oldest building. It sits high on a wall at the top of the stairwell on the second floor of Benton Hall in the southeast corner.

It's been there for over a hundred years, a bronze "thank you" to a president who served OSU from 1872 to 1892, second in longevity only to William Jasper Kerr, who held the presidency for 25 years.

Chosen to succeed OSU's first president, William Finley, by the bishops of the Methodist Episcopal Church-South, Arnold, a Virginia native, was a Confederate veteran of the Civil War. He taught at several colleges in the South after his discharge from military service in 1865. A widower when he moved west, he later married one of his students, Louisiana native Minnie White.

Lacking precedents, it was his task to organize Corvallis College within the vague requirements of the Morrill Act. Limited by meager funds, he set up a cadet corps (with uniforms of Confederate gray) and began courses in agriculture. In his 20-year term, Arnold helped define the role of the land-grant college in the nation’s educational system. He also guided the school through a difficult transition from church to state control.

Arnold’s first step was to reorganize President Finley's school into a more manageable system by dividing the institution into two departments, made up of several "schools."

The "Literary Department" would contain the "schools" of ancient languages, modern languages, history and literature.

The second department, the "Scientific," would include mathematics, engineering, technology, physical science (chemistry, agriculture, biology) and moral science (ethics and logic, political and "social" science).

The fundamental academic skeleton of the modern OSU can still be seen in this primitive curricular structure.

Also under Arnold we see the beginnings of formal instruction in military tactics (later to be known as ROTC); the first residence halls for students; start-ups in engineering and home economics; the birth of the Extension Service, literary societies, a formal library, diversity within the student body; the hiring of the school’s first out-of-state faculty; and the construction of OSU’s first building at the present location, Benton Hall.

Arnold is also first to introduce athletics to the campus, although it's doubtful if competition was at the collegiate level, and there were no leagues or conferences in force at the time. Baseball came first in 1883 and football probably began on the grounds of the original campus (downtown) as early as 1888. It would be Arnold's successor, John Bloss, who would take athletics to the next step. Arnold passed away in 1892.

No. 4: John M. Bloss

John McKnight Bloss, who served as OSU president from 1892-1896, places high on our list of defining moments for this reason: More than any of his predecessors, it was Bloss who expanded the college experience for students to include extracurricular activities not directly tied to academics. Under this quiet and unassuming educator from the Midwest, OSU begins intercollegiate athletics; adopts orange and black as school colors; introduces the college's first cheer to generate school spirit (no small achievement because it would have been considered frivolous and unbecoming by prior administrators) and establishes the tradition of the marching band.

Born in 1839 near the small Indiana town of New Philadelphia, OSU's third president entered Hanover College in 1854 and graduated in 1860. For the next year, Bloss served as a school principal in Livonia, Ind. This brief, early exposure to public education would have a major impact on the rest of his life, for it is the profession he returned to after the Civil War and the one which would give him the most success in life.

During the war years, as a sergeant in the 27th Indiana Regiment, Bloss achieved considerable notoriety in the Union Army when he helped discover what historians have often referred to as "Lee's Lost Order," a hand-written sheet of paper on which Confederate General Robert E. Lee had outlined the disposition of his troops prior to the Battle of Antietam, fought Sept. 16, 1862. The event is generally considered one of the most important military security blunders in history.

By coincidence, Bloss was at Gettysburg with Benjamin Hawthorne, later to be a member of the Corvallis College faculty. The two fought on opposite sides ...Hawthorne in Confederate gray at Pickett’s Charge, Bloss at Culp’s Hill.

As hostilities drew to a close, Bloss was promoted to captain, but then received wounds that would force him to resign his commission. In 1865, he returned home to New Philadelphia. Two years later, he was made principal of an academy in Orleans, Ind. He also served as superintendent of schools for Orange County, Ind. For the next 25 years, Bloss served in a variety of administrative positions in public school systems from Muncie to Topeka, Kan.

He moved to Corvallis in June 1892 to lead what was then officially known as State Agricultural College, although Oregon Agricultural College or OAC had been in popular usage since 1889. He held the rank of professor of mental and moral science and taught courses in political economy, psychology and ethics.

In athletics, Bloss was responsible for elevating football to varsity status. William "Will" Bloss, a Purdue graduate and Oregon State’s first football coach and quarterback, was his son. It was also during Bloss' presidency that most of OSU's core traditions were established, the majority of which are still around. School colors changed from navy blue to orange and black. A school cheer or yell was approved for student gatherings, the first in OSU history...Zip Boom Bee, Zip Boom Bee, OA, OA, OAC. And Bloss gave the go-ahead for the cadet band to perform at the school’s first football game, Nov. 11, 1893, the start of the campus' longest-running musical show.

In addition to these start-ups, Bloss increased the size of the campus and budget. By 1896, enrollment had reached a record 397 men and women, all of college standing, since Bloss cared little for the school’s longtime preparatory department and had suspended its operation early in his tenure. The faculty grew to an impressive 21 full-time instructors.

The total value of property owned by the college during his tenure exceeded $167,000,  extraordinary for that day, and appropriations from the state reached the unprecedented sum of $50,000. He also was the first OSU president to encourage large numbers of women to major in agriculture, thus fulfilling the spirit of Professor Joe Emery, established 20 years earlier, that "young women be encouraged to take practical work in gardening, landscaping and floriculture."

Bloss introduced the "Farmer’s Short Course" to supplement instruction given by the college’s larger "Farmer’s Institutes," then took over as director of the agriculture experiment station. In this capacity, he placed new emphasis on research in such areas as soils, fertilizers and drainage; feeds for livestock; farm pests; and the production of prunes and flax.

Recognizing the school’s library needed help, Bloss allocated $300 a year to buy books for the collection, which at 2,300 volumes, was a poor showing for a state land-grant college. To put the new acquisitions to good use, he helped launch a number of new literary societies...the most important of which were the Websterians and the Ciceronians. Semi-secret and semi-fraternal in character, they provided outlets for the "social needs" of the student body at a time when membership in a literary society carried more prestige than the football team.

It was also under Bloss that students produced OSU's first "college annual." Titled The Hayseed and issued in 1894 by Editor Austin T. Buxton of the junior "mechanical" class, this nifty pamphlet is generally considered the forerunner of both the Daily Barometer, OSU’s student newspaper (founded 1896), and the Oregon Stater, OSU’s alumni magazine (founded 1915).

In military science, Bloss took one look at the Confederate gray uniforms used by his predecessor, B. L. Arnold, and issued an immediate order for a change to Union blue. This included the cadet band.

Two campus buildings, Mechanical Hall and the "Station Building,"  were constructed during his administration. Mechanical Hall, which housed a variety of campus activities and services, and was Oregon State’s first real athletic facility (it contained an indoor practice space for a variety of sports, plus lockers for equipment), burned to a shell in 1898 and was not replaced. Today the "Station Building" is the Women’s Center.

Because of failing health, Bloss returned to Indiana in 1896. He died at his home, "Blossom Acres," in Hamilton Township, Ind., on April 26, 1906. In the Midwest, he is still given credit for developing the concept of the consolidated school, a reputation he earned for his involvement in establishing the Royerton consolidated school system in Hamilton Township in 1902.

In his heart and spirit, John McKnight Bloss remained a "soldier" his entire life. Often, he could be seen walking on campus wearing his old Union Army-issue "Great Coat." Despite his many contributions to public and higher education, all that is written on his gravestone is a simple inscription: "Finder of Lee’s ‘Lost Order.’ " Today, his legacy is preserved by photos and letters housed in the OSU Archives and a co-ed dorm named Bloss Hall.

No. 5: Cauthorn's politics
Although Corvallis College became the recipient of the land grant in 1868, the matter was never a "done deal" until Thomas E. Cauthorn entered the mix in the mid-1880s.

From 1868 until 1885, criticism and questioning of the school’s motives poured from the state capital, as well as from Oregon’s most influential newspapers in Salem, Eugene and Portland. What’s really going on down in Corvallis at the agricultural college, they asked? Some even suggested students might be better served if the school were moved to a new location.

Two periods were particularly low.

First: A strong Benton County delegation in the state legislature, all members of the Democratic Party, had skillfully brought the land-grant charter to the college in 1868 and then had used their influence to keep it there. Even so, a crack appeared in the armor in 1875. Benton County representative Benjamin Simpson announced he was willing to relocate the college to Eugene in exchange for the support of the Lane County delegation of a proposed Corvallis-Yaquina railway bill, which he, Simpson, was backing.

The bill never came to a vote. What it did do was ruffle a lot of feathers in Lane County, which at that time was trying to convert the Skinner’s Butte Academy into a university. What’s interesting is that when the first faculty of the UO was announced in 1876, the name Benjamin Lee Arnold, then president of Corvallis College, was among six educators offered contracts to open the new school. Arnold declined.

Second: In 1882, agricultural students at Corvallis college were interviewed by a visiting committee from the Oregon State Grange. When asked, at least some of the students told committee members they did not expect to use the information they had gained (at the college) in practical farming. When it came time to report back to the governor, the committee was blunt: "There has yet been no successful attempt made on this coast to prepare the young for the occupation of agriculture, as the lawyer is instructed in law school, or the physician in medical school."

In 1885, Cauthorn, wanting to bring closure to the controversy, sponsored the legislation necessary to permanently keep the state agricultural college in Corvallis. Filed as Senate Bill No. 132, passage was approved on February 11, 1885. It reads "An act to confirm the location of the State Agricultural College at Corvallis in Benton County, Oregon, and to provide for the maintenance and government thereof."

The legislature, in its wisdom, attached one stipulation to the bill...that the citizens of Benton County erect a building on the college farm (today, lower campus) within 24 months of the passing of the act, costing no less than $20,000 (in private donations) and to be, at the time of its opening, free from all debt. So it was written and so it was done. Fund-raising took place from 1885-1888, construction began in 1888, and the building was ready by the fall of 1889. Today, this is Benton Hall, the first building erected on the present-day campus.

Soon after, President Arnold oversaw the construction of the college’s first dorm for men. It was named after the hero of the day, the local star of that generation... Cauthorn Hall. Known today as Fairbanks Hall, the giant Douglas Fir that sits to the left of the front entrance still carries the Cauthorn name.

No. 6: Miller and Gatch

A history of the office of the presidency at OSU has not been without controversy, and nothing illustrates this fact more than a brief 11-month period in the late 1890s in which Henry B. Miller was appointed to the top job. How the university responded to his troubled tenure qualifies this period as one of OSU’s defining moments.

To say the least, Miller’s time in office left Oregon Agricultural College in a whirlwind.

Forget that he would go on from Corvallis to serve with distinction in the diplomatic corps of his country. Forget that the school would actually move forward in small degrees during his administration and not sink into ruin as some had predicted. Henry Miller, to his critics, was nothing but a sly and crafty businessman whose hobby was politics and who had "hobbied" his way into a job he was no more qualified to hold than any shop owner walking the streets of Salem.

Whether real or imagined, a dark cloud had descended over Oregon’s young agricultural college, brought on by the many negative editorials against Miller that continued to dot the newspapers of the state throughout his tenure. When he resigned before the start of fall classes in 1897, the Board of Regents moved quickly to brighten things up, in an action that would set a new tone for how OSU would select all future presidents.

The mood on the board was one of overkill. The new president would have to be someone loaded with credentials, someone whose level of education and experience would not only bring about an immediate restoration of the school’s academic reputation, but whose mere appearance in Corvallis would also cast aside any lingering doubts that OAC had become a pawn of state politics.

The review of applicants stopped at Thomas Gatch. He had the necessary degrees for the office...that was checked right up front...but what really impressed the search committee was Gatch’s experience as an educator.

Casting aside the fact that he had changed employers nine times in his 28-year career, an average of a new job every three years, the board quickly offered Gatch the presidency as the college’s fifth president. His appointment would put him on familiar ground, having already served in presidencies at both Willamette University and the University of Washington. As a bonus, he had grown up on a large family farm in eastern Ohio, outside the town of Milford in Clermont County. If nothing else, board members felt, their new president would have no problem educating farmers. As a coincidence, Henry Miller was also a native of eastern Ohio, but 200 miles to the south of the Gatch homestead.

Contrary to his past actions, Gatch would make no more career moves after accepting OAC’s offer. He would stay for a decade (1897-1907), during which time Oregon State would prosper like never before, particularly in enrollment. During his first year, 336 students were in attendance. In 1902, it was 500 and by the time of his last year, over 833 students were working on academic degrees. The faculty had grown to an unprecedented 41 in number and included such historic names as Covell, Cordley, Callahan, Horner, Snell, and future Oregon governor James Withycombe. As most OSU alumni who are familiar with the modern campus know, a number of the university’s most remembered buildings are named after these faculty luminaries from the past.

In informal situations, Gatch often referred to his students as, "my little farmer boys," but he was anything but a "farmer’s president." Literary societies flourished, and all three-year degree programs were discontinued. Under Gatch’s supervision, professor E.C. Hayward introduced a four-year course in electrical engineering (1897) and in 1898, C.M. McKellips launched pharmacy. In 1900, four-year courses in mining, offered through the department of chemistry, and physical culture, were introduced. A literary commerce degree came on line in 1901, and the department of music was re-established. In 1905, botany, forestry and horticulture were separated into separate departments, each with its own four-year program, and each strengthened by the move.

Gatch retired from OAC in 1907 at age 74. According to Elizabeth Nielsen in OSU Archives, Gatch remained at the college as a professor of political and mental science until the end of 1907. He later retired to Seattle, where he resided until his death in 1913. According to an article by J.F. Santee published in the Oregon Historical Quarterly, "...he spent his declining years deriving an income from the Carnegie Foundation, because of previous distinguished service."

No. 7: The Morrill Act of 1862
Also known as the Land Grant Act, this seminal piece of legislation was introduced during the Civil War by U.S. Representative Justin Smith Morrill of Vermont and signed into law by President Abraham Lincoln on July 2, 1862.

In essence, the act granted the states 30,000 acres of public land for each senator and representative under apportionment based on the 1860 census, with instructions to use the proceeds from the sale of these lands to establish at least one college in each state to teach agriculture and the mechanical arts (engineering). A further proviso required these schools to also offer training in military science.

In proposing the legislation, Morrill had more than crops, guns and slide rules in mind. What he knew, along with many others, was that American education was poised for fundamental change, one that would rid the country of a dichotomy in educational opportunities that had existed for almost 200 years.

Prior to Morrill, the children of the nation's elite could pursue higher education with ease. A network of privately endowed institutions, with most of the prestigious schools clustered on the upper East Coast, was there for the taking, while the children of the lower and middle classes had few chances to further their learning beyond the rudiments.

Now with Morrill the law of the land, a new kind of college, the land-grant college, was in the making, one offering a broader curriculum to far more students than was ever possible, or even desired, under the old model. The effect was, and has been, nothing short of revolutionary.

Unfortunately, lawmakers in many parts of the country were slow to realize the potential of Morrill's dream. Oregon, for example, let the legislation lie dormant until 1868. The situation changed when a Corvallis College (one day to be OSU) English professor, working a summer job for the state legislature to earn extra money, accidentally discovered that not only had the paperwork for the act been sitting in Salem a long time, its fuse was about to run out. Through a series of political maneuverings orchestrated by powerful Benton County Democrats, the act was passed into state law and Corvallis College got the land-grant designation on Oct. 27, 1868 (approval by the college's board of trustees came on Oct. 31).

Nothing in OSU's history has had such a profound impact on its makeup and character as the Morrill Act of 1862, although the Hatch Act of 1887, requiring land-grant colleges to conduct research through departments known as agricultural experiment stations, also deserves both our attention and admiration. The Smith-Lever Act of 1914 added muscle to Hatch by establishing the Cooperative Extension Service and its mission of taking research findings out to fields of farmers.

No. 8: The Olmsted Campus Plan
If he had done nothing else during his first ten years in office, Oregon Agricultural College President William Jasper Kerr (1907-1932) still would be known for having managed to do what his predecessors could not: Change the college's perception of itself from that of a small land grant college to an emerging national university. For starters, he raised entrance requirements and worked diligently to nationally certify academic programs. Four major schools were established...Agriculture, Engineering, Home Economics and Commerce...and he soon followed these with Forestry, Mines, Education, Pharmacy, and Health and Physical Education. Kerr initiated a summer session, started the Agricultural Extension Service, gave birth to radio station KOAC, and provided graduate students with more opportunities than ever before.

To support this growth, Kerr supervised the construction of 23 new major buildings for the school, from the Memorial Union to the Women's Building and Weatherford Hall. Rather than approach projects piecemeal, he commissioned John C. Olmsted to complete a master plan for the campus in 1909. OSU has never been the same.

In Olmsted, he could not have made a better choice.

The firm Olmsted represented had been founded in 1857 by his father, Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903), arguably the most famous landscape architect in American history. By the turn of the century, Olmsted and associates had amassed a portfolio of projects that included New York City's Central Park, the United States Capitol grounds, Yosemite National Park, Clove Lake Parks on Staten Island, and Prospect Park in Brooklyn.

In 1865, the Olmsteds were asked to create a campus plan for the College of California, later to become the University of California at Berkeley, and the first of over 355 college and university campus designs they would complete over the next 90 years. Many of these are among the most picturesque in the country, including Yale University, the University of Washington, Duke, Stanford, Bryn Mawr, Vassar, the University of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, Notre Dame, Brown, Louisiana State University, Stanford, and Washington University in St. Louis.

OSU's Olmsted Plan, housed today in University Archives in The Valley Library, is a 60-page written report (essentially a letter) outlining suggestions for the "look" and "feel" of the campus. Although OAC Professor Arthur L. Peck would use the document in 1910 to create a map to help illustrate the Olmsted vision, it is the report itself, and it's built-in flexibility, that is still mainly responsible for the distinctive atmosphere OSU enjoys today, highlighted by numerous pedestrian paths passing between historic red-bricked buildings outlined in white, terra cotta trim, and buildings arranged around neatly ordered rectangles. However, it is OSU's Lower Campus, site of the university's first real "farm" and football and baseball fields, that may best reflect the signature feature of an "Olmsted campus," the setting aside of an expanse of natural green and landscaping for solitude and quiet reflection.

Other Olmsted recommendations:

- the grouping of buildings in zones by function (nucleus, middle and outer zones)
- harmony of design -- buildings of a simple, Classic design, two or three stories in height, with double fronts
- designing buildings that can be easily enlarged
- developing two primary quadrangles
- diagonal crosswalks in open spaces
- maintaining Front Park (Lower Campus) as a beautiful landscape -- “a broad, imposing park meadow between the principal entrances and the buildings,” allowing one to “take in the group [of college buildings] as a whole”
- development of trees, but with restraint, so that buildings are not “smothered”

In 1926, Kerr used both A. D. Taylor and later John V. Bennes to update Olmsted by expanding the campus to include residence halls. Others would follow...notably those of Louis DeMonte and Albert Wagner...but Olmsted's master plan remains supreme in guiding university planners in matters of campus expansion or revision.

Other Olmsted projects around Oregon and the Pacific Northwest include: the campus of the University of Oregon, the Lewis and Clark Exposition of 1905, Portland park system, Portland Heights, Reed College, the grounds surrounding the Washington State Capitol in Olympia, the Seattle park system, Pioneer Park in Walla Walla, Seattle's Mount Baker neighborhood and the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.

 

No. 9: The OSU Foundation
Since its birth under Oregon State College President August Leroy Strand on Oct. 15, 1947, with the assistance and vision of three alumni—Robert M. Kerr, Edwin B. Aldrich and E.C. Simmons—the OSU Foundation has played a critical role in shaping the destiny of the university in ways the founders could never have imagined.

An endowment that began with $5, then $21,000 in 1961, now exceeds contributions of over $50 million annually, with combined assets of nearly $470 million. Earnings are distributed annually, and it is precisely here that the OSU Foundation has carved its place in history, by providing financial support to create academic and research possibilities not generally available through state support.

Examples abound. Prior to 1984, OSU had no endowed faculty chairs. That year, thanks to a gift by world-renowned chemist and OSU graduate Milton Harris, the university’s first endowed chair was established in materials science. Today, over 50 of these prestigious faculty positions serve the university, its students, teaching and research and help ensure Oregon State’s place as the research university of the state of Oregon and one of the leading land-grant schools in the country.

Other milestones include:

1948:
 Foundation funds build housing for the campus Cyclotron.
1949:
 The Azalea House, a women’s housing cooperative is constructed; Foundation gifts help construct Parker (now Reser) Stadium.
1980:
 Private support developed through the Foundation helps pay for the construction of the LaSells Stewart Center.
1983:
 OSU Presidential Scholarships are awarded for the first time, thus significantly enhancing the university’s ability to recruit and retain the region’s best young scholars.
1987:
 For the first time, Foundation expenditures to the university reach $10 million annually.
1988:
 OSU’s Trysting Tree Golf Course is dedicated.
1989:
 Total expenditures since 1947 exceed $100 million.
1991:
 Total expenditures exceed $200 million; Parker Stadium undergoes another renovation.
1992:
 New Agricultural and Life Sciences Building is equipped and furnished with private gifts to the Foundation; Valley Gymnastics Center and University Theater projects are completed; Mercedes Bates Family Study Center is constructed.
1995:
 Annual expenditures exceed $30 million for the first time.
1996:
 OSU is ranked No. 1 among all Oregon colleges and universities in private donations.
1997:
 The Foundation provides the support to renovate the Valley End Zone Complex; the CH2M HILL Alumni Center is constructed with 100 percent private contributions.
1999:
 The Valley Library and Richardson Hall are dedicated.
2000:
 The Foundation provides the support to build new baseball and softball facilities, plus a new complex for soccer.
2002:
 The H. Dean Pape’ Campanile is dedicated in the library quad.
2005:
 Foundation gifts help renovate Weatherford Hall and establish the Austin Entrepreneurial Program; the Kelley Engineering Center is constructed and an annex for small animals is added to vet medicine’s Magruder Hall; an $80 million renovation of Reser Stadium is financed through a joint effort of OSU Athletics and the Foundation.

Through these and many other achievements, the OSU Foundation has, according to its Web site, assisted the university in “growing from a well-respected Land Grant college to a premier teaching and research university with a Land Grant, Sea Grant, Space Grant and Sun Grant mission. The individual colleges that comprise OSU have established international reputations for excellence through major research advancements, wide-reaching professional publications, and high-caliber students graduating into the marketplace.” How true.

No. 10: The contributions of James H. Jensen
On March 6, 1961, Oregon Governor Mark O. Hatfield, with one stroke of his pen, signed a document that fulfilled a dream Oregon Staters had been working to achieve for many years, renaming Oregon State College as Oregon State University. 
 
Only months later, on Aug. 22, the university president who helped make the new name possible, August L. Strand, resigned. It would be up to a new chief executive to make OSU live up to the change from "college" to "university."

The job fell to James Herbert Jensen, a highly respected scientist who came to Corvallis after serving eight years as provost at Iowa State. More than anything else he might have accomplished, Jensen oversaw one of the greatest periods of growth in OSU history.

Under his leadership, OSU's physical plant and programming went to the next level: the Kerr Library (now Valley Library) was completed; the Radiation Center was established; and the OSU Marine Science Center in Newport (now known as the Hatfield Marine Science Center) was dedicated. He also helped create the Nuclear Science and Engineering Institute. At Newport, Jensen assisted in commissioning the 180-foot research vessel Yaquina for the department of oceanography. He also approved the construction of more new residence halls than any of his predecessors, including McNary, Callahan, Wilson and Finley Halls. The Dormitory Service Building was opened and so too were the Orchard Court Apartments (married student housing) and Avery and Dixon Lodges (cooperative housing) on lower campus.

In every respect, OSU’s 10th president was only responding to a university in the midst of significant change.. When he accepted the position, the campus accommodated 7,899 students in all degree programs. By 1968, the 100th year after OSU's designation as the state's land grant college, enrollment had jumped to a whopping 15,791, with 2,867 degrees awarded at commencement.

Jensen witnessed three of the greatest moments in OSU's storied athletic history: the awarding of the Heisman Trophy to Terry Baker in 1962, barefoot runner Dale Story leading the Beavers to the only NCAA team championship yet won by the Orange and Black--the 1961 NCAA Cross Country National Championship--and Dick Fosbury's development of the "Fosbury Flop," a new high-jumping technique the talented Beaver track star used to win Olympic gold in 1968.

During his tenure, Linus Pauling, OSU class of 1922, was awarded the 1962 Nobel Peace Prize, thus becoming the first and still the only person ever to receive two unshared Nobels (his first was in chemistry in 1954).

Let us also not forget that it was Jensen who helped organize the Black Student Union and assisted in opening the Lonnie B. Harris Black Cultural Center. Under Jensen, English, art, history, political science, Russian studies and speech were first offered as baccalaureate degrees, and OSU gained enormous prestige in 1968 when it was announced the university had been selected as a Sea Grant University, one of only three schools in the country at that time to be so designated.

Born in Madison, Neb., Jensen earned his bachelor's and master's degrees from the University of Nebraska before moving on to the University of Wisconsin to earn his Ph.D. in 1934.

His early career included teaching at the University of Nebraska and scientific work as a biologist and plant pathologist in Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. In 1945 he became head of plant pathology at North Carolina State University. Later, in conjunction with his growing reputation for scholarship, he accepted various assignments with the Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research at Princeton, the Tropical Plant Research Foundation in Cuba, the U.S. Department of Agriculture at Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, and held various positions and appointments with the Atomic Energy Commission, the National Science Foundation and the Brookings Institute, all in Washington, D.C. He was also a scientist for the Boyce Thompson Institute in New York state.

He moved to Iowa State University as provost in 1953 and became president of OSU in September 1961. Jensen served as president of the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges in 1966-67. After his retirement in 1969, he continued his contributions in the field of international education by accepting a second appointment with the Rockefeller Foundation. His work included extended consultation with Kasetstart University in Bangkok, Thailand, and with other educational and research programs in Tehran, Iran.

He lived for several years in Green Valley, Ariz., then returned to Oregon and the Pacific Northwest in the 1980s. He died after a long illness in Redmond, Wash., Feb. 10, 1993.

No. 11: Helen Gilkey's legacy

Helen Margaret Gilkey (1886-1972) sits high anyone's short list of Oregon State's most distinguished and historic faculty.

She was twice an OSU graduate, having completed bachelor's and master's degrees at Oregon Agricultural College before enrolling at the University of California at Berkeley to study with world-renowned William Albert Setchell. She become the first woman in Cal history to earn a Ph.D. in botany. Born in the state of Washington but moving to Corvallis with her parents in 1903, she returned to OAC for life in 1918, doctorate in hand, and established a career as one of North America's most distinguished botanists. For both her generation and those to follow, she remains one of OSU's most inspiring role models, a pioneering example that the ability to perform extraordinary science knows no gender.

Joining the OAC faculty as an assistant professor and the first curator of the college's herbarium, Gilkey, according to an OSU web site, "epitomized the Pacific Northwestern botanist of the first half of the Twentieth Century. Her work with the Tuberales and other hypogeous (underground) fungi is considered classic mycological research in North America. She played an essential role in establishing Oregon State as the center for taxonomic and systematic research of hypogeous fungi and her collection is still actively used."

Promoted to full professor, she remained with the herbarium for 33 years, developing the collection from 25,000 to more than 75,000 vascular plant specimens. An accomplished botanical watercolor artist, she used her artwork to illustrate her many important publications, including Weeds of the Pacific Northwest and Livestock-Poisoning Weeds of Oregon, both of which remain historically valuable to farmers and ranchers in the region. In 1929, she began the work that would eventually lead to the publishing of her well-known Handbook of Northwestern Plants. Her Tuberales of North America was the first of the Oregon State Monographs - Studies in Botany series. Other monographs included Aquatic Plants of the Pacific Northwest and Winter Twigs. Gilkey drew the frontispiece illustration of Viola hallii for Peck's Manual of the Higher Plants of Oregon and also produced many of the illustrations found in Jepson's Manual for the Flowering Plants of California.

She was honored throughout her career and was particularly proud of being the recipient of a Citation for Outstanding Achievement from the Oregon Academy of Sciences, as well as the OSU Distinguished Service Award. She supported many liberal causes, including the NAACP, the international peace movement, and anything that would elevate interest in environmental protection. In 2004 she was posthumously inducted into the Berkeley Women's Hall of Fame.

Gilkey touched the lives of thousands of women during her 54 years at OSU, but none more so than Laura Garnjobst of the Class of 1922. Studying in England and Germany after leaving Corvallis, Garnjobst received her Ph.D. from Stanford University in the 1930s, a rare feat for any gender during that era, and became one of the nation's top scientists in zoology and physiology.

No. 12: 2001 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

Played before 75,428 fans on Jan. 1, 2001, Oregon State's smashing 41-9 triumph over Notre Dame in Arizona State University's Sun Devil Stadium might arguably be OSU's greatest bowl game victory ever.

But for the over 40,000 Beaver faithful who made the trip, and for the many thousands of other alumni and fans who watched the 30th renewal of the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on television, this night in the desert was more than a mere sporting event. After suffering through one winning football season in 29 years, this was a gridiron moment that would restore a measure of pride in all things Oregon State seldom seen in school history.

For proof, unprecedented levels of alumni support to the OSU Foundation and the athletic department have followed in Tempe's wake, with contributions sparking one of the biggest building booms ever to hit the campus, including a new indoor practice facility, a newly refurbished football stadium, the restoration of Weatherford Hall, a major addition to the College of Veterinary Medicine's Magruder Hall, and the construction of a giant new engineering building.

Clearly, the Beavers played their best game of the season in routing the 10th-ranked Irish. Though leading by only a 12-3 margin at half, Notre Dame was thankful the score wasn't higher. The stats tell the story. OSU rolled up 278 yards in the first two periods and put up points on three of its first four possessions.

On the one series Head Coach Dennis Erickson's chargers didn't light up the scoreboard, they drove the ball 83 yards in nine plays, only to be stopped on fourth down at the Irish one-yard line. So dominant was the Orange defense, Notre Dame managed to generate but eight yards total offense on six offensive plays in the first quarter.

The third quarter was truly historic, resulting in a 29-point deluge that put the game away for good. Play was highlighted by a bizarre punt return in which OSU wide receiver T. J. Houshmandzadeh fielded a Fighting Irish punt at the Beaver 27, was hit hard at the 50, fumbled, then watched teammate Terrell Roberts grab the ball in midair and sprint the rest of the way for the TD.

After completing 16 of 24 passes for 305 yards and three touchdowns, OSU quarterback Jonathan Smith was named Offensive Player of the Game.Teammate and linebacker Darnell Robinson earned Defensive Player of the Game honors, recording seven tackles, a sack, two tackles for losses, a pass breakup and a pass interception.


No. 13: "West Point of the West"

The exact origin of Oregon State's nickname "West Point of the West" isn't known, but it has been around since early in the 20th century and used in various ways to pay tribute to both the history of military instruction at OSU and to the men and women who have left its ranks to defend the nation in peacetime and in war.

Required of all schools receiving land grants under the auspices of the Morrill Act of 1862, preparations for military training at OSU began in 1868, the same year the university known then as Corvallis College was awarded the state's land-grant designation by the legislature. Right away, college president William Finley appointed three local citizens to a board of commissioners and authorized them to "improvise a course of study in military training." Acting on their recommendations, Finley announced: "As soon as arms and accoutrements are received from the governor, means will be taken to carry out the provisions of the Act of Congress in relation to military instruction and discipline."

Such "instruction" began in 1872 with the appointment of B. D. Boswell, an army captain, to lead the new program. Thus OSU became the first institution of higher learning in the Pacific Northwest to offer what would later be known as ROTC, Reserve Officer Training Corps. OSU may have been the first school in the country outside the service academies to offer military training under the guidance of an officer on active duty.

For both major world wars of the last century, OSU transformed itself into a giant cantonment, a temporary military training camp geared for war. Open spaces became parade ground. From 1917-1918, blacksmiths, radio operators, tool makers, foundrymen, machinists, and auto mechanics were most needed by the military and OSU responded to the demand. During World War II, foreign languages and meteorology, among the many military subjects offered, were crucial.

Since the Philippine Insurrection of 1899-1902, OSU students, alumni and faculty have participated in every war and armed conflict involving America's military, up to and including the current war in Iraq. On the list are two Medal of Honor awardees...Ed Allworth for World War I and John Noble Holcomb in Vietnam...and hundreds of others who have distinguished themselves in service to the nation.

OSU engineering students "Dug" Pine, C. E. Johnson, C. L. Johnson, G. T. Beven, Harry J. Cole, James Clarke, and Walter Lankenau, all of whom were aboard the S.S. Tuscania headed for the front when she became the first American ship carrying American troops to be sunk during World War I.

Ulysses Grant McAlexander, an army general and former OSU ROTC commandant of cadets who achieved immortality during World War I as the "Rock of the Marne."

Leland Clinton, who lost his life aboard the USS Indianapolis in what may be World War II's most horrific story of survival at sea.

Ralph Waldo Eldon, recipient of the Navy Cross for saving the lives of more than 150 sailors aboard the sinking USS Hammann at the Battle of Midway. The destroyer USS Eldon was named after him.

Enid Clifford Fisher, a brilliant World War II pilot. She ferried P-51 fighters from assembly plants to military airfields, where they could then be flown overseas.

Arnold J. Funk, chief of staff of the Luzon Force in the Philippines and a survivor of the Bataan Death March.

John Hampshire, a combat pilot in the Far East during World War II who became one of the 14th Air Force's most distinguished flyers. In his biography, Way of a Fighter, commanding general Claire Chennault called John "the most brilliant fighter pilot ever to fly in China."

Everett W. Holstrom , the pilot of "Plane No. 4" on the Doolittle Raid.

Former Oregon Governor Douglas McKay, OSU Class of 1917, who saw action as an infantry officer in World War I, which nearly cost him his life in the Meuse-Argonne in Oct. 1918, and who served in the state's highest office with a 66 percent disability.

Elizabeth Mercer , a top assistant to the admiral of Western Sea Frontiers in San Francisco during World War II.

Grant Teats, a pilot with Squadron 8 at Midway who lost his life in one of the most inspiring tales of gallantry from World War II.

No. 14: OSU's first president: William A. Finley (1865-1872)

When William Asa Finley, a Methodist Episcopal Church (South) minister, was hired in 1865 to serve as OSU's first president, he was 31 years old and a pioneer of the Oregon and California trails. A dozen years earlier he had crossed the prairies and the High Sierras with a wagon train from Saline County, Mo., to the San Jose Mission in California.

OSU in the 1860s was known as Corvallis College, a small pioneer academy operating with a bad case of name inflation. Separated into primary and preparatory departments to accommodate students in a wide-range of ages and stages of learning, the school was competent at what it did, but lacked the financial or material resources to function as anything beyond the rough equivalent of today's small town high school. Finley's orders were to "kick the place up a notch," to upgrade both facilities and academics to something on the level of a real college.

Finley was optimistic by nature and also possessed a willingness to persevere against all odds. He realized that his school would be judged according to the standards of the day--those of the eastern liberal arts colleges. This meant heavy doses of Latin, Greek and philosophy. With but three on the faculty, he would have to do a lot of the teaching himself. His yearly salary of $1,200 made him one of the highest paid residents of Benton County.

By 1867, Finley's upgrades were ready to be tested on OSU's first class at this level: Alice Biddle, Annie F. Finley, Louis F. Horning, and Charles J. Mulkey.

Of the four, only Biddle would graduate with OSU's first class in 1870. Joining her at commencement were J. K. P. Currin and Robert M. Veatch, both of whom had enrolled in 1868. Approximately 126 students were in attendance at the time and classes were open to all. This atmosphere of equality is not surprising when it is realized that Finley's approach to curriculum clearly reflected the policies of his alma mater, Pacific Methodist College, which may hold the distinction of being the first co-educational college in the far west.

How should we remember Finley? In a big way. During his administration, spanning the years 1865-72, Corvallis College advanced from the standing of "pioneer high school" to that of a full-fledged institution of higher learning, producing graduates with "legally conferred degrees." The term or quarter system was introduced and the land grant endowment was secured from the state under the Morrill Act.

He also put in place something else that would help define OSU's future. It was Finley who purchased (on credit) "The Farm," a small plot of land that would give rise to the birth of scientific agriculture in the Pacific Northwest, and also furnish the growing school with a new campus. Today, the location is known as "lower campus" and features Benton Hall, Apperson Hall, the Women's Center and the Education Building.

After his resignation, Finley returned to Santa Rosa, Calif., where he served as Pacific Methodist's second president. He went on to finish his career as president of Santa Rosa Young Ladies College. He died in 1912 at the age of 78.


No. 15: The legacy of Margaret Comstock Snell

When Margaret Comstock Snell passed quietly away of heart failure on Aug. 23, 1923, OSU lost a giant, one of the truly great faculty members in the history of the university.

Educated as a medical doctor and recruited to Corvallis by Board of Regents member Wallis Nash and his wife, Louisa, Dr. Snell established a record of achievement few at OSU have equaled before or since.

Respected and admired by everyone, one of her greatest legacies was in establishing at Oregon State the first college of home economics in the West and the fifth oldest nationally. She did so with a beginning class of 24 students (second highest enrollment in the college after agriculture), no assistants, almost no budget, and having the use of a single classroom, that on the third floor in the northwest corner of what is today Benton Hall. Enrollment increased every year. For her generation and several that followed, she was an important academic role model for OSU and the state of Oregon, inspiring thousands of women to pursue a higher education and professional careers.

Rather than use her medical degree to chase pain and disease, Snell embarked on a new approach to her profession. The nobler cause, she said, was to teach people how to stay well, rather than treat them once they’re sick.

During many of her years on faculty, Snell also had charge of Alpha Hall, OSU's first dorm for women. For laboratory equipment, she used a wood burning stove, a couple of sauce pans and two sewing machines. She hated greasy foods, thought that people consumed way too much of them, and was constantly encouraging women everywhere to "throw away your fry pans." If you were invited to her home for a meal, you got cookies or a fruit salad and a glass of milk.

After retiring in 1908, Snell devoted her remaining years to the study of literature and to civic affairs around Corvallis. Many of the white birch and maple trees just west of the business district downtown, particularly along the blocks surrounding the Central Park neighborhood, were all purchased, planted and cared for by Snell.

Over the years, several campus buildings have been named in her honor, the latest of which is directly west and across the street from the McAlexander Field House. It is also known as MU East.

No. 16: The 1933 Ironmen
The score on the scoreboard still echoes in the memories of many Beaver
faithful: Oregon State Agricultural College 0, USC 0. The date: Oct. 21, 1933. The place: Portland's old Multnomah Stadium (now PGE Park), where 21,500 fans watched the scoreless struggle. Although not a victory in the strictest sense, the story of this game best symbolizes (to this writer) the spirit of toughness and school pride Beaver athletes have demonstrated since athletic competition was first introduced to the campus in 1883.

Howard Jones' Southern California Trojans had entered the game as the best college football team in the country, sporting back-to-back national championships and a 25-game winning streak. Their starting lineup gleamed with All-Americans, their offense a veritable "thundering herd" of destruction.

First year Beaver coach Lon Stiner, enjoying a 4-0-1 record, carried but 37 players to Portland, compared to over 80 for Jones. Ignoring a saying the nation's coaching fraternity repeated often--to beat USC, you must have "backups for your backups"--Stiner played but 11 men the entire 60 minutes, a fact which gives this special Pac-10 showdown its historic place in the lore of college football. This seemingly innocent tie remains the only time in NCAA history in which a No.1-ranked, defending national champion has been upended by an opponent using no substitutes. Thus, they became forever Oregon State's "Iron Immortals," or "Ironmen." With each singing of the OSU Fight Song, a part of which reads, "watch our team go tearing down the field, those of iron their strength will never yield," Beaver Believers are reminded of that remarkable day so long ago when OSU stood toe-to-toe with the best and refused to go down.

The last survivor of that immortal 11, right guard Bill Tomsheck of Corvallis, was asked in a 2003 interview if any of his teammates, the ones who had watched from the bench, had ever showed any jealousy toward those who played. Said Tomsheck: "No. We were in the dressing room and they came over and helped us undress. I guess they felt we needed a little help. I've never been that tired in my life."

In 1988, Bill and the rest of his 36 teammates were inducted as a unit into the OSU Athletic Hall of Fame. Tomsheck passed away in 2004.

No. 17: The OSU Alumni Association

Colleges and universities have much in common. What sets institutions apart are their individual customs, traditions and histories. The Trysting Tree, orange and black, Benny Beaver, our alma mater "Carry Me Back," the spirit and tranquillity of the lower campus, the MU, Benton Hall and the Women's Building...these are the things that bind Oregon Staters together as a family and provide the university with an identity like no other school in the world. For over 130 years, the OSU Alumni Association has played a historically significant role in keeping these connections strong, solidifying relationships among alumni, and helping in the important work of defining and preserving the unique personality of Oregon's land-grant university.

The Alumni Association was founded on Monday, Feb. 3, 1873, at a meeting held in President Benjamin Lee Arnold's office in the old Corvallis College building located downtown. Official approval for the group and the election of officers took place on June 18. The Association has been in continuous service since that time and is today the oldest organization on campus not directly related to academics.

No. 18: The contributions of Ida Kidder

The role of the library is often understated when schools boast of quality academics. But make no mistake about it: strong libraries make for strong universities. In July 1908, Oregon State took this axiom to heart with the hiring of its first professional librarian, a 50-year-old University of Illinois graduate named Ida Kidder.

The year 1880 marks the true beginning of OSU's library. The holdings of what was then known as Corvallis College numbered less than 600 volumes (and miscellaneous items) and were under the part-time supervision of a student named Leo Stock. By 1899, the collection had grown to 8,000 books, pamphlets and bulletins. At Kidder's hiring, the library contained approximately 7,180 books, plus 15,000 government documents and other assorted materials.

The library was located in Benton Hall, in what is today the band room for the department of music. Inspired by President William Jasper Kerr's dream of bringing national recognition to Oregon's land grant college, Kidder labored tirelessly to elevate the college's library equal to that of Kerr's aspirations. The result was unparalleled growth in holdings and budget, accompanied by a 900 percent increase in staffing. By the time of her passing on Feb. 20, 1920, the library had grown to over 35,000 volumes and was housed in a spacious new building Kidder helped plan and construct. First opened in the fall of 1918, it was renamed Kidder Hall in 1963. Today, the facility is home to the College of Science.

In time, Ida Kidder enjoyed such a level of devotion and respect, she became known to everyone simply as "Mother" Kidder. When Homer Maris penned OSU's Alma Mater, "Carry Me Back," in 1919, he dedicated the beautiful song to "Mother" Kidder.

Immediately after her death, OSU's beloved faculty member was allowed to lie in state in the main lobby of the library for the campus and community to pay their final respects. The event may be unique in the history of college or university libraries. Classes were cancelled for two hours. An ROTC honor guard stood watch over the casket.

No. 19: The arrival of Wallace and Louisa Nash
Wallace Nash came to Oregon from England in 1879 and stayed the rest of his life to help build a college. Of all the talented men and women Oregon Agricultural College President Ben Arnold assembled to help him manage the campus, Nash would be one of the best and his influence would have far reaching effects. Louisa, his wife, also made significant contributions to the young land-grant school.

As secretary for the OAC's Board of Regents, Nash was charged with, among many other academic assignments, restructuring the school's faculty. Assisted by Louisa, the two wrote every agricultural college in the country for information on faculty organization and pay, then used the data to launch a nationwide search for qualified instructors. This was the first attempt in school history to reach out beyond the borders of the state to recruit faculty. Louisa, for example, recruited Dr. Margaret Snell to OAC, the pioneer woman educator and medical doctor who became the first professor of household economy and hygiene (later home economics) in the Far West.

Nash, who did legal work for Charles Darwin prior to relocating his family to the Pacific Northwest, quickly became interested in agriculture in the Willamette Valley. Among his many activities, he helped direct the annual Farmer's Institutes across the state, which brought the college's latest research on grain, stock and fruit growing to the people who needed it. This activity would grow into the OAC Extension Service.

Wallace and Louisa were also prime movers in the planning and building of Benton Hall, giving both time and money to help see the project through to completion. All six of their children, a daughter and five sons, went on to graduate from OAC. Two of the boys...Desborough and Percival... were starters on Oregon State's first football team of 1893.

No. 20: Terry Baker's Heisman

When Terry Baker won the Heisman Trophy in 1962, he became the first football player west of Texas to win college football's most coveted award. He was also a first-team All-America selection on 11 teams, named Sportsman of the Year by Sports Illustrated, won the Maxwell Award as the Outstanding Player in the Nation and the Helms Foundation Award as the Top Athlete in North America. Oregon State's current football media guide lists 25 other honors that came his way that year. In addition, he was captain of OSU's basketball team in 1963 that went to the Final Four. Honors for Terry Baker are virtually unmatched in school history for a single athlete and a huge source of pride for Beaver alumni.